Setting java properties for tomcat5.0

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 04:28:35 PST 2005

Dear list,

I've got a standard installation of the www/jakarta-tomcat5 port,
which is working pretty well.  However I need to start tomcat
including setting the 'java.awt.headless=true' property.

Now, all the instructions I've been able to dig up on the web say 'set
JAVA_OPTS in the environment', which assumes you're using the
catalina.sh script bundled with the tomcat sources.  By default the
FreeBSD port uses a setuid binary 'tomcat50ctl' to control startup and
shutdown of tomcat, and by my reading of the daemonctl.c source code
(which is what gets compiled into tomcat50ctl) it seems that
environment variables are not passed through to the java command line,
and experiment bears out that the effect I want is not generated.

As far as I can tell I need to place this value in a Java .properties
file somewhere -- the question is: where?

     Cheers

     Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd