jdk-1.5.0 on amd64 CURRENT -- insane memory usage

Jerry Keefe islero at comcast.net
Sat Feb 5 16:56:18 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 14:27 -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> Well, following the advice in the thread "Re: java/jdk15 build failure
> on amd64", I finally managed to build and install jdk-1.5.0 on my
> amd64-current box.  Unfortunately, preliminary results are extremely
> disappointing.
>
> It seems that any java app I try running instantly tries to allocate an
> entire gigabyte of RAM right off the bat.  Running apps are showing
> sizes of 1200, 1300, 1400 megs, which is just completely crazy.  The
> same apps running with jdk-1.5.0 on my 32-bit Athlon box under STABLE
> are fine, no such craziness with memory allocation.
>
> Is anyone else seeing the same sort of thing?  Right now, for me,
> jdk-1.5.0 is all but useless on my amd64 box (I only have 512 megs of
> physical RAM; but even if I had more, this sort of memory hogging is
> just completely out of line). :-(

I quickly tried some apps from ports (finance/venice editors/jedit) and
they seem to function without obvious problems. I have 1 GB memory.
Venice uses 2.5 MB on my i386 box and 4.8 MB on the amd64 box (both with
jdk15).  Jedit seemed equally bigger on amd64. Maybe that shouldn't be a
surprise with a 64 bit architecture.
Thinking back on it, though, I did recompile jdk15 using jdk15 instead
of the linux-sun-jdk bootstrap.  Don't know if that matters.