freebsd eclipse plugins & mailing list

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Aug 26 03:37:44 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 03:48:04PM -0600, Greg Lewis wrote:
> I'd personally like to see eclipse and all of its plugins removed from
> the java category and placed into devel.  For example, I find it ridiculous
> that the phpeclipse port is in the Java category.

Speaking as both a portmgr and a bugmeister, I think the java category
has been a failure.  What happens is that people see a 'java' ports
category and then assume that reports about bugs in any Java port should
go to the Java GNATS category (rather than 'ports').  In particular,
these PRs then get missed by portsmon.  As well, as you mention, the java
category departs from the existing usage in 'devel' and other places.

I think TRT is to move everything out of Java that's not actually a JDK
or JRE.  And maybe even the things that are :-)

What do other people think?

mcl