freebsd eclipse plugins & mailing list

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Fri Aug 26 02:34:43 GMT 2005

On Thursday 25 August 2005 18:41,  the author David Wolfskill contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: freebsd eclipse plugins & mailing list:

>[Sorry about cluttering a technical list with administrivia, but it
>seemed appropriate under the current circumstances.  -- postmaster]

>> >You may be willing to help set it up, but only the FreeBSD postmaster(s)
>> >can actually do so :).  I personally don't see enough interest for a
>> >separate mailing list,
>>
>> How can we find if there is enough interest without creating the list?
>> Eclipse is now a very serious EDI which is suitable for all kinds of
>> development. Frankly I am dissappointed that freebsd has not been more
>> active in the eclipse field.  The lack of plugin support in the ports tree
>> is a major deterent.
>
>Regardless of the structure of the ports tree or anything else, my basic
>criterion for new list creation is this:  Would creation of the new list
>help the FreeBSD project more than retaining the status quo would?

Well I think definitely yes. If you need any proof of its significance for
developers of any project I would suggest you take a look at the eclipse site
www.eclipse.org and at the links from that site. As to helping the freebsd
project a search through the eclipse website on Linux will tell you how much
support that community has gained through their involvement of a core of
linux deveopers in the eclipse community.

>If the answer is yes, then I am strongly in favor of cretaing it -- to
>the point that unless someone in core@ or admin@ tells me not to, I
>will create the list.

So please will you create the list as quickly as possible and hopefully we can
promulgate its presence on the many eclipse forums.

>However, I have been so far "out of the loop" with respect to
>"development environments" and the like ... well, no; that's not right:
>I was never "in the loop."  What "development" I do (generally in Perl)
>is done in multiple xterm windows editing files with vi.

You might find the eclipse edi in conjunction with the perl and php plugins
very very usefuland a tremendous advance on using multiple xterms with vi.
The one EDI will control all the development tasks and maintain a development
history... very neat.

>So:  for folks who have an opinion -- persuade me.  No, this isn't a
>"vote;" I don't care about that.  Write to me about what the presence of
>the new list will do for the FreeBSD project ... for good or for ill.
>Be honest about it.

Eclipse is multi- faceted -- but is developed on a Java platform. However it
is out of place in the Freebsd-java mailing list... every plugin needs to be
discussed in the context of eclipse as a whole and the various plugins. The
absense of a list means that Freebsd users are not able to benefit from the
mutually support it can create to ensure freebsd developers are able to use
the latest tools -- whether you develop in C of C++, or java, xul, sml, http
php, or whatever there is an e clipse tool to help.

>Note that I set Reply-To on purpose -- there's no
>need to clutter FreeBSD.org technical mailing lists with opinions about
>the creation of a mailing list.

I have posted this to the freebsd java list but will ask anyone who joins in
to delete that from the cc list and add their name to the cc list

>Chances are, I'll create the list --

please do
>I recently created one dedicated to
>the Proliant line of hardware (of all things).  So if you can convince
>me that Eclipse has a following at least comparable to Proliant
>hardware, you're probably golden.  Remember, the salient criterion is
>"Overall, does creation of the new list help the FreeBSD project?"
>
>> I know a number of developers who have moved from freebsd to linux just
>> because freebsd has not kept up with this very powerful EDI.
>> Who should I email to request a new list? ( I have cc'd
>> postmaster at freebsd.org )
>
>I noticed.  :-}
>
>> If there is no hope then I suppose I could start an independent mail list
>> - but that  idea goes against the grain!
>
>Right.  I appreciate your restraint.

>> --
>> 40 yrs navigating and computing in blue waters.
>> English Owner & Captain of British Registered 60' bluewater Ketch S/V
>> Taurus. Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama
>> Canal after completing engineroom refit.
>
>Heh.  Sorry about the need for the refit, but I've tended to have a bit
>of a "soft spot" for ketches.  Not that I've actually sailed one,
>unfortunately.

Ah well if you are near San Diego in a couple of months (when the engine is
done, I'll be glad to welcome you aboard

David