freebsd eclipse plugins & mailing list

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Thu Aug 25 21:48:08 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 01:03:59PM -0700, Vizion wrote:
> Two suggestions
> I am wondering if there is any mileage in modifying the ports collection to
> include a
> /ports/java/eclipseplugins/
> hierarchy
> and giving commit priviledges to members of this list who are willing to test
> eclipse plugins and add them to the ports.

The whole ports sub-categories idea has been discussed numerous times
on freebsd-ports.  Please read its archives for how these discussions
have gone.  In short, there is essentially no chance of this happening
unless the whole ports tree is changed to allow this, and that proposal
has been rejected each time it has been discussed.

I'd personally like to see eclipse and all of its plugins removed from
the java category and placed into devel.  For example, I find it ridiculous
that the phpeclipse port is in the Java category.  This isn't aimed
specifically at eclipse though, there are a bunch of ports in the java
category that shouldn't be (as a main category).

> Personally I would be in favor of also creating a freebsd-eclipse at freebsd.org
> mailing list but I am not certain how much interest there might be. If there
> is enough support I would be willing to help set it up.

You may be willing to help set it up, but only the FreeBSD postmaster(s)
can actually do so :).  I personally don't see enough interest for a
separate mailing list, but I must admit to ignoring most of the eclipse
specific messages ;).

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com