Starting with freebsd

Phil Helms phelms1 at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 22 14:18:25 GMT 2005

Maybe I should restate the question.

I have used FreeBSD 4.X (4.8 and 4.10) in the past, and have liked it.
However, despite FreeBSD's capabilities, and the applications available
to be run on it, it did not have a serious Java implementation.  What I
needed was an OS that I could use as a desktop platform to get work
done.  Because of the lack of decent Java support in FreeBSD, I decided
to switch to Linux, which does have Java, and I'm now happy with what I
have in Linux.

Nevertheless, I have installed FreeBSD 5.4, and hope to be able to do
something with it.  If, because of the efforts of dedicated and talented
developers, FreeBSD 5.4 and beyond is to have Java support, that would
remove the main impediment to my use of FreeBSD as a desktop platform.

Just the same, having to do compiles to get Java functionality is
problematic.  In Linux, the functionality is there without the need for
compiling anything.  My hope is that compilation to obtain Java
functionality in FreeBSD will some day be a thing of the past, just as
compilation is unnecessary for things like Gnome, KDE, Kontact, or
Evolution.  That would be good.

Still, why is it Sun's fault?  Please enlighten me.

--
Phil Helms
phelms1 at mindspring.com