JDK 1.5.0_0x-Patches available?

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Thu Aug 18 14:51:14 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:43:19AM +0200, Michael Meyer wrote:
> you FreeBSD guys seem to be the only ones who are
> seriously using self-compiled Sun JDKs. I am
> considering the possibility of compiling a 5.0 JDK on
> linux with a gcc patched with stack smashing
> protection.

Necessity is the mother of self-compiling ;).

> Unfortunately, I cannot get information on how one can
> get the source code for the 1.5.0_04 JDK. Sun only
> seems to offer the 1.5.0_00 source code as all source
> code filed in the .zip file are dated on October 2004
> (the realease date of JDK 1.5.0)? Is this correct?

Yes, essentially Sun will only drop the initial release under
its current source code license, it doesn't drop updates for
every patch level it releases.

> But you are using very huge (serveral 100k big)
> patchsets in order to be able to compile the linux sun
> jdks under FreeBSD. Have you written each and every
> patch yourself? Or are there the 1.5.0_00 -> 1.5.0_0x
> patchsets already included (besides your
> FreeBSD-specific patches)? If they are, form where did
> you get them? Does Sun offer them publicly under their
>  research licence? At which place?

The _00 -> _04 patches are not included, although its possible we've
come across some of the same problems and fixed them similar ways.
The patchset simply contains what is needed to get things compiling
under *BSD.

We're pretty close to the second patchset now, so I suggest that you
get the experimental patchset rather than patchset 1.  It should still
compile under Linux -- I'd be interested in any problems you run
into that are due to anything we've introduced.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com