bootstrapping 1.4 with 1.3 (was JDK 1.5 / 5.0)

Kurt Miller truk at optonline.net
Wed Sep 22 08:34:43 PDT 2004

From: "Kurt Miller" <truk at optonline.net>
> I've tried the linux and solaris rt.jar and tools.jar, but it fails at the
> first invocation of native java with:

> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.Class.getName()Ljava/lang/String;
>
> If I can figure this problem out, I think I've got a way to bootstrap
> 1.4 using 1.3-linux and various distfiles.

While debugging the above problem, I realized that an older version
of the linux jdk might work better. I can now bootstrap 1.4 using this
method:

1) Use 1.3 java/javac for bootstrapping 1.4 hotspot build
2) Use 1.3 jar in all bootstrap cases
3) Use the linux 1.4 binary release (j2sdk-1_4_2-linux-i586.bin)
to get rt.jar and tools.jar and extract only the necessary bootstrap
classes.
4) Use a source only dist file containing additional bootstrap files.

I'll send a port that uses this method to openbsd-java soonish.

-Kurt