4 cpu AS4100 w/5.2: Java options?

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Mon Oct 18 10:16:00 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 11:57:35AM -0400, Bill.Melvin at esc.edu wrote:
> I would like to run Java on zis ere Alpha 4100 w/a fresh build of
> RELENG_5_2.
>
> I note that most of the jdk ports are marked ONLY_FOR_ARCHS = i386.
>
> Googling and list crawling indicates this may be quite difficult to do.
>
> What are the current options for running/building/installing a 1.[34] JDK
> on
> an Alpha running 5.2?

Depends entirely on your skill set and how much time you're prepared to
invest.

Since their is no native port of 1.3 or 1.4 to the Alpha your options
are

a) Run an x86/sparc/<other supported platform> hardware emulator.  Boot
   an OS on that hardware emulator and run the JDK with it.  This should
   probably work but sounds like it would be pretty slow.

b) Port or complete the port of either 1.3 or 1.4 to Alpha.  If you know
   Alpha assembler then the 1.3 port (Classic VM) shouldn't be too hard
   to complete.  1.4 or 1.3 + HotSpot is going to be a lot of work.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com