Sun offers snapshots of their next JDK's source code

Kurt Miller truk at optonline.net
Tue Nov 16 07:59:05 PST 2004

From: "Panagiotis Astithas" <past at netmode.ntua.gr>
> On another note, perhaps the distribution of JDK 5.0/6.0 patchsets
> should be subject to the new Java Research License? It seems more open
> source-friendly, not to mention shorter :-)

The SCSL allows for "personal and individual use" of the JDK
binaries in the 'Research Use License' via the 'Research Use' definition.
Its not clear to me if the JRL grants the same thing. IANAL, but the
definition of 'Research Use' in the JRL doesn't seem to include unqualified
personal and individual use like the SCSL does. If this is the case, I think
the SCSL may be the better license for the patchsets.

-Kurt