very quick java/jdk14complie = problem?

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Sat May 29 17:16:04 PDT 2004

According to Robert Huff:

> huff@>javavm -version
> #
> # HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, Internal Error
> # Please report this error at
> # http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
> #
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.4.2_04-b05 mixed mode)
> #
> # Error ID: 4F533F4C494E55583F491418160E435050030B
> #
>
> Heap at VM Abort:
> Heap

I have been fighting the EXACT SAME PROBLEM on both FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE
and (most recently) on FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE.  Here is what I found and what
did (finally) work for me:

First, you have to have the 'linux_base="YES"' flag in your /etc/rc.conf file.
I have seen that here before.  Next, you have to see "linux.ko" and "linprocfs.ko"
in the output of your kldstat(8) command.  Next, you have to build linux_sun_jdk14
from /usr/ports/java.  Next, you have to mount(8) /usr/compat/linux/proc like the
message from the linux_sun_jdk14 port tells you.  I had all of this and I suspect
you have as well.  This failed for me on both versions!

I noticed an error in my console window each time I tried to execute the above
"java -version" command:

   command java pid 2557 tried to use non-present sched_getscheduler

After a Google search, I learned this (it is somewhat dated, but useful):

> Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
> Subject: Re: Problem with kernel configuration
>
> In article <37acc621.114807 at news-server>, David Lineberger wrote:
> >
> >I just installed the xmms-0.9.1 audio package off the ftp.freebsd.org
> >ftp site and whenever I play an mp3 file i get this error sent to hte
> >root window:
> >
> >/kernel: cmd xmms pid 1537 tried to use non-present sched_getscheduler
>
> I had the same problem when I started using XMMS.  Just add the POSIX options
> to your kernel and it should work fine.  Here are the lines that you need, check
> LINT for details:
>
> options "P1003_1B"
> options "_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
> options "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"

After I reconfigured and recompiled my 4.10-RELEASE kernel I was successful:

> freebsd% /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/bin/java -version
> java version "1.4.2_04"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_04-b05, mixed mode)

I fully expect that this kernel mod will give me success on FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE
as well.  Good luck!  I hope this helps.  :-)

Regards,

web...

William Bulley                     Email: web at umich.edu