tomcat41 producing 28 java daemons

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Fri Mar 19 05:07:59 PST 2004

> Really, every Java spawned thread is a separate process with the Linux JDK?
> (Or is that just how it appears?). Sorry, I shouldn't come out of my lurker
> mode, but that must be expensive?

They do show up as separate processes and they are since kernel threads are
non-existence on Linux. However they do share the same memory so you aren't
wasting gigs and gigs of memory if that's what you're worried about.

And if you were thinking it must be expensive to launch a JVM for each thread
- that's not what's going on either. I dunno *exactly* how it works but the
JVM is forking/cloning for each thread. Unless you use green threads, but I
don't think hardly anyone is doing that nowadays - but it was popular back
when native threads weren't stable (particularly on platforms not supported
by Sun).

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org