An alternative Eclipse 3 port

Panagiotis Astithas past at noc.ntua.gr
Wed Jun 16 08:01:01 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I have been approaching the eclipse3 port from a slightly different and
unfortunately slower angle. The linux buildfiles annoy me, partly
because I am worried that the they may hide some obscure compatibility
bug, and partly because I would like this to look like FreeBSD software.
So I replaced every instance of linux with freebsd, as in the eclipse 2
port. This began as an attempt to avoid some problems with plugins I
used to have with the "linux" port (so to speak). I haven't confirmed
whether they still persist in the last iteration of the port, so YMMV.

This port skeleton is a direct replacement for the java/eclipse port (no
eclipse3 names in directories, etc.) and although I finished it last
night, I think I managed to squeeze in (and tested) everything that has
been noted in the recent threads. I still have some minor nits I would
like to attend to, but I would like some feedback from the community
whether this is a valid approach or I should quit pursuing it and go
water my plants or something.

You can get the port skeleton here:
http://noc.ntua.gr/~past/freebsd/eclipse3-port.tgz

These are some guidelines I tried to follow:
- No reference to Linux if possible.
- The pathces in $FILESDIR are one patch per file, as in most ports.
- No hard-coded paths (ant, unzip, gmake, JAVA_HOME, etc.)
- Minimize diffs from the eclipse 2 port.

Of course it should be noted that this port borrows heavily from similar
work done by Georg W. Koltermann, Torben Jager, Jeremy Faulkner, as well
as the eclipse 2 port contributors, Alexander Kabaev, Jimmy Olgeni,
Norikatsu Shigemura, and others I haven't tracked down in my safari
through mailing list archives.

Cheers,
--
Panagiotis Astithas