jdk 1.4

Ethan Killian ethan at hkfanatic.com
Tue Jun 8 00:28:04 GMT 2004

Bill,

I have been working on an Eclipse 3.0 port so I just installed a fresh
install of Java today on my 4.10 FreeBSD Box.  It did originally crash
because I did not run the following first:

kldload linprocfs
mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /compat/linux/proc

Once these are loaded though, I did a 'make clean' and then 'make
install' from the /usr/ports/java/jdk14/ directory and it completed.
The thing catch is that you will also have to download the
j2sdk-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin file.  This applies to my previous email
that I forgot to include.  Basically to build the native port, it uses
the linux binary to help with the build process.

So, first run:

kldload linprocfs
mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /compat/linux/proc

Make sure you have all 4 files (in /usr/ports/distfiles)

j2sdk-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin
<>j2sdk-1_4_2-src-scsl.zip
j2sdk-1_4_2-bin-scsl.zip
bsd-jdk14-patches-6.tar.gz

Run 'make install' from the /usr/ports/java/jdk14/

If you are missing some of the files, it should tell you what you need
to get and where to place the file.  This port is difficult to get
installed because you have to manually fetch the files and register with
sun.com to get them.  It did work for me today however when I installed
this from scratch.  If you still get failures paste the error.

And I am running a Generic 4.10 kernel on the box I got the jdk14
installed on today.

Ethan Killian