possible threading problem

Steve Quirk squirk at ieee.org
Wed Jun 2 10:06:15 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Daniel Fisher wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 10:04:38 +0300
> Panagiotis Astithas <past at noc.ntua.gr> wrote:
>
> > Daniel Fisher wrote:
> > > I'm experiencing a weird threading problem with jdk-1.4.2p6_3 that I don't
> > > see on Linux.
> > > It looks like the BSD JDK is not honoring sychronize statements.
> > > Has anyone seen this before?
> > > If not, who should I send sample code to?
> >
> > Um, the list?
> > --
> > Panagiotis Astithas
>
> Alrighty then....
> attached is a tarball with the sample classes in it.
> Untar and cd into the directory.
> Execute: java -jar prop.jar
> These classes monitor the main.properties file and echo the changes to stdout.
> Edit main.properties while the java job is running.
> FreeBSD JVM throws an InterruptedIOException, Linux JVM does not throw an
> exception.
>
> --
> Daniel Fisher

Removing "synchronized" from the 3 methods in PropSingleton has no effect
(it still throws InterruptedIOException), so it's probably not related to
that.

Fixing the possibly leaked file descriptor in PropUtil.loadProperties()
(add "is.close();") also doesn't help.

I tried reproducing this with a smaller program (just load the properties
file from another thread), but couldn't make it fail.

My jvm is "1.4.2-p6".  And, it works fine on MacOS/X.

Not much help, but FYI.

Steve