native jdk release schedule question

Panagiotis Astithas past at ebs.gr
Sat Jul 31 19:32:44 PDT 2004

Nick Johnson wrote:
> FWIW, it looks like the trouble comes from
> hotspot/src/share/vm/prims/jvmdi.cpp because monitor->monitor().raw_notify
> (or raw_wait or raw_notifyAll or raw_exit) is returning
> ObjectMonitor::OM_ILLEGAL_MONITOR_STATE.
>
> That seems to be triggered from
> hotspot/src/os/bsd/vm/objectMonitor_bsd.cpp like this:
>
>  int ObjectMonitor::raw_notify(TRAPS) {
>    if (THREAD != _owner) {
>      return OM_ILLEGAL_MONITOR_STATE;
>    }
>
> So at first glance it looks like a thread ownership problem.  Don't have
> time to dig any deeper ATM.

The funny thing is that the behavior is not consistent:

edgar% cat dummy.java
class dummy { public static void main(String[] args) {} }
edgar% javac dummy.java
edgar% java dummy
edgar% jdb dummy
Initializing jdb ...
 > run
run dummy
java.io.IOException: Target failed to handshake.
         at
com.sun.tools.jdi.VirtualMachineManagerImpl.handshake(VirtualMachineManagerImpl.java:190)
         at
com.sun.tools.jdi.VirtualMachineManagerImpl.createVirtualMachine(VirtualMachineManagerImpl.java:201)
         at
com.sun.tools.jdi.AbstractLauncher.launch(AbstractLauncher.java:107)
         at
com.sun.tools.jdi.SunCommandLineLauncher.launch(SunCommandLineLauncher.java:144)
         at
com.sun.tools.example.debug.tty.VMConnection.launchTarget(VMConnection.java:333)
         at
com.sun.tools.example.debug.tty.VMConnection.open(VMConnection.java:166)
         at
com.sun.tools.example.debug.tty.Commands.commandRun(Commands.java:547)
         at com.sun.tools.example.debug.tty.TTY.executeCommand(TTY.java:299)
         at com.sun.tools.example.debug.tty.TTY.<init>(TTY.java:539)
         at com.sun.tools.example.debug.tty.TTY.main(TTY.java:850)

Fatal error:
Unable to launch target VM.

I was usually getting the previous error that I mentioned, but the last
6-7 runs consistently give me this output. It could be some sort of heap
corruption or something like that. The machine is a July 10 -CURRENT.

Rebuilding the jdk with WITH_DEBUG is going to take the rest of the day
on my system, but since I am leaving on vacation in a few hours, it will
have to wait :-)

Cheers,
--
Panagiotis Astithas, PhD