java 1.4 (p4) -Xrunhprof:cpu=times errors?

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 06:52:21 PST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Kelly, Michael J. wrote:

> I am getting this also. It works with cpu=sample. I'm trying on Solaris with
> WebLogic. OptimizeIt crashes too. Did you ever find patch or workaround?

I did not; in fact, profiling under -stable seems to produce really odd
results - due to the userland multiplexing of threads, I'd guess
(cpu-bound unit tests seem to produce reasonably reliable numbers).
Since debugging (and relatedly, profiling) is still on the to-do list
for native code under KSE*, and since java depends upon this support*,
I'd guess much of this is waiting on the KSE work (which according to
the todo is due RSN). I've no idea if profiling support is required or
tested by the JCK.

'Course, this means that java development work using freebsd as a
development platform needs to adopt a slightly different approach: I've
taken to writing correct, efficient code first time :-) I may lapse into
old habits if the status changes.

jan

* As I understand it; if I'm grossly misrepresenting I hope that someone
will jump in.

"I think therefore I am." -- Ronnie Descartes