Java3D and Firefox

Chris Hodgins chodgins at cis.strath.ac.uk
Fri Dec 24 07:21:06 PST 2004

Hi,

I would like to bring to your attention this post to the mailing list:
http://www.mailarch.org/java3d_and_mozilla-2651686-2863-a.html

The basic summary is that the Java3D port works great in appletviewer or
  running normally with the java command.  However the port seems not to
work on firefox and in the posters case mozilla.  Insetad when running
the applets a red cross appears in the corner of the applet and the java
console shows there was a NoClassDefException thrown.  The OP obviously
spent a few painful hours working out what caused it and tracked it down
to the creation of the file ~/.java/deployment/log/plugin142.trace.  The
fix suggested was to chmod the log directory to 555 to stop the creation
of the file.

I have just installed the port and have exactly the same problem.  I
used the OP's fix and everything worked again.  I don't know enough
about the Java ports or have the time to look into and I am happy it
works now.  However, I would imagine someone should take a look at it
and see if it has a proper fix.

This is what I am running:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD paranoia 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #1: Fri Dec  3 18:15:16
GMT 2004     root at paranoia:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/paranoia  i386

firefox-1.0_5,1
java3d-1.3.1_1
javavmwrapper-2.0_2
jdk-1.4.2p6_7
jdk-doc-1.4.2
linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.06

I have also just realised that any java3d applet runs at 100% cpu.

Chris