ports/75348: Tomcat port overwrites server.xml config file

Thomas Duffey tduffey at homeboyz.org
Tue Dec 21 16:26:53 PST 2004

Hi Brent,

Brent Verner wrote:

>  Thomas, thanks for reminding me of CATALINA_BASE :-)
>
>  This might well be the best solution.  Keep all user
>configured files away from the port-managed files.  Many
>other systems package/install tomcat in this manner, FWIW.
>
>  Where could a directory be created to hold more than one
>CATALINA_BASE directory?  In that directory could be
>directories with names based on the package's ${ORIGIN}...
>
>  ${SITE_BASE}/tomcat4
>  ${SITE_BASE}/tomcat41
>  ${SITE_BASE}/tomcat5
>
>where SITE_BASE could default to something like
>/usr/local/www-java or /usr/local/www/catalina-base.

I'm not sure I follow you.  Are you trying to declare a default location
for individual "instances" of specific versions of Tomcat?

>  The do-install target would check for existence of the
>CATALINA_BASE directory.  If not present, the directory
>is created and populated with the necessary files.  If
>the catalina.sh were used to start/stop the tomcat, we
>could simply create/supply a setenv.sh file (next to
>catalina.sh) that defined the external CATALINA_BASE if
>not already defined in the environment.

When I build a Tomcat port, then, would I need to build/install it once
for each instance?  Suppose I have three instances, would I need to do:

# CATALINA_BASE=/home/appserver1/tomcat make && make install
# CATALINA_BASE=/home/appserver2/tomcat make && make install
# CATALINA_BASE=/home/appserver3/tomcat make && make install

This seems like more work to me than just understanding how
CATALINA_BASE works, configuring your Tomcat instances however they best
suit your needs and then assuming the FreeBSD port will always just
install the latest and greatest to /usr/local/jakarta-tomcatXX and leave
your instances files alone.  Although I typically use daemontools to
start/stop my Tomcat instances, I would be interested in a more
intelligent startup/shutdown script that references /etc/rc.conf to
determine whether or not Tomcat should even be started at boot (e.g.
tomcat41_enable="YES").

Whatever you come up with, please keep things simple for those of us who
expect the port to install a standard Tomcat setup, including the latest
default configuration files.

Best Regards,

Tom Duffey