ports/75348: Tomcat port overwrites server.xml config file

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Tue Dec 21 15:43:55 PST 2004

[2004-12-21 13:55] Thomas Duffey said:
| Hi All,

Hiya.

| Although this is not a solution to the overwriting problem, it is a
| workaround that I typically use on all of my Tomcat servers to make it

  [description of using CATALINA_BASE to run tomcat from
   config outside of installation directory]

  Thomas, thanks for reminding me of CATALINA_BASE :-)

  This might well be the best solution.  Keep all user
configured files away from the port-managed files.  Many
other systems package/install tomcat in this manner, FWIW.

  Where could a directory be created to hold more than one
CATALINA_BASE directory?  In that directory could be
directories with names based on the package's ${ORIGIN}...

  ${SITE_BASE}/tomcat4
  ${SITE_BASE}/tomcat41
  ${SITE_BASE}/tomcat5

where SITE_BASE could default to something like
/usr/local/www-java or /usr/local/www/catalina-base.

  The do-install target would check for existence of the
CATALINA_BASE directory.  If not present, the directory
is created and populated with the necessary files.  If
the catalina.sh were used to start/stop the tomcat, we
could simply create/supply a setenv.sh file (next to
catalina.sh) that defined the external CATALINA_BASE if
not already defined in the environment.

  Thoughts?

cheers.
  Brent