FW: FreeBSD Upgrade azureus-2.1.0.4_3 to 2.2.0

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Fri Dec 17 09:32:08 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:29:27AM -0600, Manfred N. Riem wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I've emailed the maintainer of the azureus port and haven't got
> an answer in a weeks time, could someone have a look at the port?

Hi Manfred,

AFAICT, Jeremy Faulkner (maintainer of azureus) is quite active as a
contributor, so if he didn't reply yet to your request, then chances are
he is busy at the moment, and we can do nothing in this extend.

In such case, the best thing to do (IHMO) is to send a PR, preferably
with a patch, with the maintainer CC'ed. This way, a commiter may handle
the PR and, if the maintainer doesn't give any feedback for more than 2
weeks (official duration for maintainer timeout implicit approval) after
a patch has been submited, then this patch will get commited.

It's all described in the Porter's handbook, I think.

On a more general basis, you have submitted quite some patches directly
to this list lately but I would encourage you to use a PR for the same
above reasons when this is only related to a port upgrade. Port
commiters do not all subscribe to this list and sending your patch in a
general ports PR will increase the chances of it being reviewed.

Then, CC'ing the freebsd-java@ list in your PR when it does not include a
patch would have the effect of notifying the community that a port
upgrade is needed and would allow members to give feedback and/or
contribute.

As always, I strongly encourage the use of devel/porttools to produce
patch and send the PR. Many fields are automatically (and correctly)
filled and this helps commiters a lot.

Herve