FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE + JDK1.4 native in a Jail -> hangs 99% cpu on kserel

Joris Verschoor j.verschoor at nefli.nl
Mon Dec 13 08:39:55 PST 2004

Nick Johnson wrote:

>kill -3 on the Java process should cause it to do a thread/stack dump,
>which may prove useful.
>

>Another thing you can try is running java with -Xrunhprof:depth=8, though
>note that this will have a significant impact to performance.  It will,
>however, produce stack traces (of depth 8 in this case) for each thread
>when you kill the JVM normally (not with kill -9).
>
>   Nick

Ok..
I just tried it when it was still running (I assume -3 will have the
same effect as ctrl-break in java/win32)
After that I saw the process go into kserel and the cpu time rose to 99%
again.
There was no stacktrace anywhere (stderr / stdout)

So I killed it, and started it again.
When it started, I got the Resource temporarily unavailable  error

I tried to do a normal shutdown (killall java)
The same thing happened.. so that's very strange..

if I run /usr/local/etc/rc/.d/resin3.sh stop, and it was not in the
kserel loop, it will stop normally