javavmwrapper messes up amavisd-new

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Mon Dec 6 07:19:30 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 10:31:33PM +0800, Jiawei Ye wrote:
> I have a valid JDK with no JAVA_* set in the environment. Running
> 'java' in a normal shell gives normal results. My guess is that
> amavisd-new runs 'java' with an incorrect search path which is later
> passed to the javavmwrapper executable. Any thoughts on how to verify
> that point?

In /usr/local/bin/javavm:

export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

javavmwrapper indeed enforces its own search path so that should not
cause any trouble. Maybe amavisd-new just sets JAVA_HOME prior to
running 'java'. Could you try setting JAVA_HOME to your installed JDK
home before running amavisd-new?

If this doesn't work either, I will try to dig further into amavisd-new.

Hum, in this extend, I just did the following:

$ cd /usr/ports/security/amavisd-new
$ make extract
$ grep -ri java work
work/amavisd-new-2.2.0/amavisd:  [qr/^compiled Java class data\b/    => 'java'],

I don't see where 'java' is invoked... but I'm not quite a perl
programmer myself. Maybe that's just another application (that should be
part of amavisd-new dependencies) that calls 'java'. I guess we should
contact the maintainer of the port to be sure.

Herve