javavmwrapper messes up amavisd-new

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Mon Dec 6 06:13:41 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 09:05:15PM +0800, Jiawei Ye wrote:
> They are erh....not related at all, which was why it took me about 2
> hrs to figure out why my amavisd-new b0rked. Java is not a dependancy
> of amavisd-new nor vice versa. I just happen to use both of them. The
> only java-related portion in amavisd is where it needs to figure out
> the mime-type of a multipart mail. Other than that, I have no clue why
> javavmwrapper clobbers amavisd-new.

IMHO, this means that amavisd-new is using a JDK through the 'java'
command. It was already doing this BTW, but now javavmwrapper installs a
'java' executable in a directory included in $PATH ($PREFIX/bin/). So I
guess we should either disable this use of Java in the amavisd-new port
or fix this support.

Do you have any JAVA* variable defined? Please try unsetting all of them
(JAVA_VERSION, JAVA_HOME, JAVAVM...). The error you reported should only
be raised if some criteria is specified regarding the JVM and a suitable
JVM cannot be found. When nothing is specified, any JVM would fit and
thus javavmwrapper will raise no error.

OTOH, maybe you just have javavmwrapper installed and no JDK, and thus
there is a 'java' executable with no JDK to run on the other side (thus
no suitable JVM, as there's no JVM at all). But I doubt this is the
case.

Herve