java/eclipse dies starting up

Panagiotis Astithas past at netmode.ntua.gr
Thu Aug 19 13:24:23 PDT 2004

Derek Young wrote:
> I've had the same problem, and complained earlier.
> It started with gcc 3.4, after I recompiled every
> port and binary on my system.
>
> If you want more fun try doing it WITH_MOTIF on
> the eclipse build, and you will get malloc error
> messages complaining about junk porters :)

I've seen both error reports, but I just found the time to try to
reproduce them. I have -current from August 11th (post gcc 3.4),
gtk-2.4.4_1 and just rebuilt eclipse. The gtk version of eclipse works
like a charm for me. No sig 10's whatsoever. I haven't upgraded gtk to
2.4.7 (and other stuff) yet, but I' ll try it soonish.

The motif version works too, although I do get the malloc warnings.
Using the 'A' malloc flag shows that they come from the java binary (not
rebuilt with gcc 3.4 in my case). The trace I get is kind of crappy, so
I'll try rebuilding jdk14 with the new compiler.

In any case the problems are never in eclipse code, but either in gtk or
java (or some system bug - gcc, ld, threads, etc.). Some suggestions off
the top of my head:
- check for bad memory (sig 10)
- try using binary packages for gtk, eclipse, etc.
- try using an older binary package of jdk14, if you have one around
- eliminate any strange make.conf settings, such as compiler
optimizations and rebuild

Cheers,

Panagiotis