getLocalHost() Always Returns Loopback?

Ryan Sommers ryans at gamersimpact.com
Wed Apr 7 08:57:04 PDT 2004

I'm having a lot of difficulty getting InetAddress.getLocalHost() to
return anything besides the loopback address. After hours of scouring
google I've found this is a common problem. Most of the solutions have to
deal with the java.policy file.

First off... Everything says to put the policy file in your home
directory; never works. Any ideas? I've gottne past this by running with
the arguments "-Djava.security.manager
-Djava.security.policy==/usr/home/.../java.policy".

My java.policy file contains:
grant {
    permission java.net.SocketPermission "*:1024-65535",
"connect,accept,listen,resolve";
    permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

Any ideas how I can get any of the other IP Addresses returned? I'm
attempting to run the PAST java code (search google for PAST AND Storage).

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

--
Ryan "leadZERO" Sommers
Gamer's Impact President