java/65054: Diablo 1.3.1 JVM runs out of file descriptors at 1021

Greg Lewis glewis at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 1 17:00:38 PST 2004

>Number:         65054
>Category:       java
>Synopsis:       Diablo 1.3.1 JVM runs out of file descriptors at 1021
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE

	As posted on freebsd-java:

I'm using the Diablo 1.3.1 JVM package from www.freebsdfoundation.org on a
4.9-STABLE machine and it unfortunately seems to exhibit the bug described
at:

  http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4189011.html

interestingly enough, the linux 1.3.1_02 JVM under a 4.6-STABLE machine
does
not exhibit the problem.

Is there an updated Diablo (diablo-jdk-noplugin-1.3.1.0 Java Development
Kit
1.3.1 is what I'm running) that has this fixed or is my only recourse,
other
than compiling from source, to run under linux emulation?

On the Diablo JVM machine (test.java is the program suggested in the bug
report):

nine[ttyp2]:aditya~> /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.3.1/bin/java test 3000 1 1 test
Starting 1078434190431

Opened test0000001020.tst Thread: 0
test0000001021.tst (Too many open files) java.io.FileNotFoundException:
test0000001021.tst (Too many open files)
Aborting 1078434221065

nine[ttyp2]:aditya~> /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.3.1/bin/java -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build diablo-1.3.1-0)
Classic VM (build diablo-1.3.1-0, green threads, nojit)
nine[ttyp2]:aditya~> limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        524288 kbytes
stacksize       65536 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       unlimited
vmemoryuse      unlimited
descriptors     11095
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         5547
sbsize  unlimited

And the following on a 4.6-STABLE machine running a 1.3.1_02 JVM under
linux
emulation (linux-jdk-1.3.1.02_1 Sun Java Development Kit 1.3 for Linux):

two[ttyp2]:aditya~> java test 3000 1 1 test
Starting 1078434145154

Closing 1078434235337.tst Thread: 0

two[ttyp2]:aditya~> java -version
java version "1.3.1_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_02-b02)
Classic VM (build 1.3.1_02-b02, green threads, nojit)

>How-To-Repeat:

	The test script the original poster used would be useful.

	We should also see if the same problem afflicts the current jdk13 port.

	Same problem may also affect the jdk12 and jdk14 ports (more testing is
	needed).

>Fix:

	None yet known.