FreeBSD Port: eclipse2.1.1_2

Remco van 't Veer rwvtveer at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 18 13:28:44 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've installed eclipse with jdk1.4.1 (the native version) and
it works fine.  First install 1.4 from /usr/ports/java/jdk14,
notice the warnings about used diskspace and, after some time
compiling, install eclipse from /usr/ports/java/eclipse.

I don't think it will compile with linux-sun-jdk1.4.2 because the
eclipse port builds some native libraries and the linux jdk can
probably not handle freebsd compiled libraries.  But if you
really need 1.4.2 insteadof 1.4.1 you might be able to configure
eclipse the use 1.4.2 for compilation and execution of you code
but you will still need the native 1.4.1 to run eclipse.

HTH,
Remco

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 14:30, Tim Cleaver wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> I have just recently attempted to install eclipse and am wondering why it
> requires so many out of date packages? jfc1.1.1 and jdk1.2 are no longer
> supported and actively maintained by Sun. I wish to develop using jdk1.4.2
> and it appears that this requires the linux abstraction layer in order to
> do so? Can the eclipse build utilise linux-sun-jdk1.42 and not require the
> older java technologies? If possible, how would I go about altering the
> appropriate make files in order to do this? Furthermore what are the the
> drawbacks in using the linux emulation layer with regards to java? If there
> is a better IDE available in teh ports collection I would greatly
> appreciate any advice you have in that regard also.
>
> I am new to the FreeBSD and ports community and thank you for taking the
> time to read and reply to my email.
>
> thanks,
> Tim

It is our responsibility to innovate relationship corridors to
enable us to synergize cutting-edge sub-channels as part of a larger
strategy to dominate the industry.