FreeBSD vs Windows 2000 "Advanced" Server

Sheldon Hearn sheldonh at starjuice.net
Thu Sep 4 05:02:59 PDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:55:47 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> I can get about the same number of threads running on a single-CPU box
> with no service pack.  So I've narrowed it down to either broken
> Hyperthreading (HTT) support in Windows 2000, or a problem with service
> pack 3 or 4.

As it turns out, the evidence that led me to believe that FreeBSD Java
support outscaled Windows 2000's was off.

Windows 2000 comes with terrible out-of-the-box defaults, plus I
made a naive configuration change early on without understanding the
consequences.

In fact, we found that 2,000 siumultaneous Tomcat processors was
impossible to support on FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE, and unworkably slow on
FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT (native jdk1.4.1p3 in both cases).

What I got wrong with the Windows 2000 installation:

http://starjuice.blogspot.com/2003_09_01_starjuice_archive.html#106249959878214319

Why I wouldn't recommend FreeBSD Java for heavily threaded applications
yet:

http://starjuice.blogspot.com/2003_09_01_starjuice_archive.html#106267661433883916

Ciao,
Sheldon.