freebsddom and java's flaming hoops

Kurt Werle kwerle at pobox.com
Wed Oct 22 11:31:38 PDT 2003

>> I wonder how they do it.
>
> with a lot of NDAs and possibly money changing hands? and not having the
> JVM source available to users? all of which contradict the spirit,
> purpose, and capabilities of FreeBSD?

If I really want to, I can grab the Java sources.  No matter who ships
what, you always have to NDA to SUN if you want Java source.  I just want
the binaries.  For that, I shouldn't need to jump hoops.  (NOTE
**SHOULD** not need to - this is the ideal)

> if you want an OS producer that can and does act like a closed-source
> for-profit corporation, there are at least two for you to choose
> from. enjoy.

Do you mean FreeBSD producers?  Who and who?  If I can buy a CD that would
get me a solid FreeBSD system with Java included, I'll STFU.

> meanwhile, the FreeBSD guys have gone god-knows-how-many rounds with Sun
> to make all this happen, outside of the coding effort itself. not only
> that, but they've produced tangible, useful results.

And believe me, I appreciate the hell outta that!

> I don't think we're
> in any position to provide unconstructive criticism regarding features of
> the situation that no one can really control.

2 points:
1.  I am in a position to complain.  I'm a user.  It's what users do.
It's up to suppliers to decide whether the users should get what they want
(yeah, that's a somewhat rhetorical statement).
2.  Clearly, someone can control the situation.  It may take money, it may
take favors, it may take asking.

Kurt