1.4.2 patchset 5

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 05:48:07 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:

> * Jean-Baptiste Quenot:
>
> > * Greg Lewis:
> >
> > > I am pleased to be able to announce 1.4.2 patchset 5.
> >
> > It seems that the IP sockets do not work anymore.
>
> After issuing:
>
> # sysctl net.inet6.ip6.v6only=0
>
> It works again...
>
> Why are IPv4 addresses like 127.0.0.1 no more recognized?

It sounds like a combination of an IPv6-aware server and a client that's
trying an IPv4 "localhost" first.

There are potential problems associated with the "standard" v4-in-v6
addressing which the sysctl in question avoids, by turning off that
operation. The last month or so has seen the default for this sysctl
spasm back and forwards because there's angst about turning it on, which
is arguable the "right thing" from a security standpoint, and turning it
off, which is "the right thing" from the current state of the RFCs.

Until the RFCs are amended, your fix works. You might try (as a hack)
ensuring that the IPv6 localhost address (assuming "localhost" is
causing the problems) appears before the IPv4 one in your /etc/hosts. Or
alternatively flip the switch as you have done.

jan

I shave with Occam's Razor.