IntelliJ IDEA, JDK 1.4.1-p3, 5.0-p7, "Bad file descriptor"

Sheldon Hearn sheldonh at starjuice.net
Fri May 23 07:04:03 PDT 2003

On (2003/05/15 22:39), Andrew Houghton wrote:

> When I first create a project in the IDE, and the jar files are copied
> to the ~/.IntelliJIdea  cache directory, I'm getting little dialog boxes
> that somethine like "Cannot copy <some file name> to
> /usr/home/aah/.IntelliJIdea/system/jars/<some file name>: Bad file
> descriptor".  When I look in the .../system/jars directory, everything
> looks fine.
>
> I'm also seeing this when I try compilations on projects.  I see the
> compilation proceed and I see errors and warnings -- briefly -- showing
> source paths and line numbers.  Somewhere in the middle of the
> compilation, most (but not all) of those error references go away and
> the lines say 'Bad file descriptor'.
>
> Does anyone else using IDEA see this?

Yes.  I just got it trying to create my first project, the first time I
ran IDEA.  Not a great first impression.

I deviated a little from the installation instructions, which wanted me
to copy the entire JRE into the IDEA home directory.  Yeah, right!

However, you're saying you get these during compilation?  Have you got
any symlinks in your source tree?

I don't know what the problem is, just trying to find common ground.

Ciao,
Sheldon.