bsd.java.mk 2.0

Greg Lewis glewis at misty.eyesbeyond.com
Tue May 20 11:09:35 PDT 2003

Hi Herve,

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 03:33:11PM +0200, Herve Quiroz wrote:
> Here are my ideas for the next major version of bsd.java.mk...
>
> First there are two variable called NO_BUILD_DEPENDS and NO_RUN_DEPENDS. I
> propose we only use one: USE_JAVA= [run | build | both]

I'm not sure we need "both" since if you need a JDK to build a port then
presumably that port contains some Java code that needs to run.  As an
alternative suggestion I would propose:

USE_JAVA = [ jre | jdk ]

Where "jre" indicates that we just need a RUN_DEPENDS which can be satisfied
by a JRE (or JDK).  The "jdk" value would indicate a BUILD_DEPENDS on a
JDK with a RUN_DEPENDS on a JRE (or JDK).

This may need extending to cope with ports that need a JDK at run time
(any examples?).

We're obviously breaking backward compatibility here, but I think thats
pretty much unavoidable to get the features we want.

> USE_JAVA was previously used to specify the JDK version number the port
> depends on. But as it has been said, it does not allow enough flexibility
> nor it does not allow to specify a particular JDK to use. So what about
> having three other variables ?
>
> USE_JAVA_VENDOR= [sun | ibm | blackdown]...
> USE_JAVA_VERSION= [1.1[+] | 1.2[+] | 1.3[+] | 1.4[+]]
> USE_JAVA_OS= [linux | native]

Hmmm, I can't see a way to do something like

USE_JAVA_VERSION = 1.1 - 1.3

which is something I'd like the next version to be able to cope with.

There also doesn't seem to be a way to prefer one version over the other,
which is another thing I'd like to see.  For example, a port may build
and work with 1.2, but may provide more functionality if built and run
with 1.3.  In that case, how do I specify 1.2+ but with a preference for
using 1.3 if its available?

> Each of which may be empty or undefined if the choice is not important.
> USE_JAVA_VENDOR may contain a list of vendors.

Space separated?  Are they in order of preference?  If so maybe we can
do the same with USE_JAVA_VERSION and USE_JAVA_OS to satisfy my
preference example above, e.g.

USE_JAVA_VERSION = 1.3 1.2

This would also satisfy the need for a range or list of versions.

Also, if I prefer the native version over the Linux version I could
do

USE_JAVA_OS = native linux

> Then if the porter wants a specific JDK, he may use the following:
>
> USE_JAVA_PORT
>
> Where he specifies the directory of the JDK to use (e.g. java/jdk13)
>
> [Optional: USE_JAVA_PORT could also contain several ports...]

We could do the same as above, space separate in order of preference?

> Internally, the bsd.java.mk file manages the dependencies by taking user
> preferences into account:
>
> USE_JAVA_PORT contains a list of JDK ports to use ordered by preference.

Ok, that ties in well with the above.

> USE_JAVA_1_{1|2|3|4}_PORTS contains a list of JDK ports to use when a
> particular version is required, again ordered by preference.
>
> Then bsd.java.mk build a list of the JDK specified by the port. Amongst
> these ports, it chooses preferably one that is part of the  user choices.
> And amongst these resulting ports, it chooses preferably a port that is
> already installed.
>
> IMHO it should lessen considerably the complexity and maintenance of
> bsd.java.mk as the maintainer needs only to have a generic Makefile and
> store JDK ports with variables.
>
> What are your opinions ?

I would also suggest that USE_JAVA_{VENDOR,VERSION,OS,PORT} become simply
JAVA_{VENDOR,VERSION,OS,PORT} as that is more in line with the other
language makefiles (e.g. bsd.python.mk).

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com