I want to run a java enabled browser

David Paigen paigen at heathen.com
Wed May 7 11:13:40 PDT 2003

won't build.  Please help with looking at java websites.

Hello, my problem started out with an inability to see java
in Opera, but it has wandered all over by now.

1. I started by trying to add java to Opera 6.12 (FreeBSD).  Following
the instructions on opera.com and freebsd.org/java I installed
jdk 1.1.8 and jfc out of the ports collection, then pointed Opera
at /usr/local/jdk1.1.8/lib/i386/green_threads/ and Opera dumped core.

A search of freebsd.org for "opera AND java" suggested that I am
SOL, that Opera and java just don't work together on freebsd.  Is
there anyone out there who has been successful with this combo?

2. So then I turned to mozilla.  I started by installing it out of the
ports collection, but it told me this:

###
A symlink has been created for the Java plugin.  However, in order for Java
to function, you must first install the java/jdk13 port.  If you do not
do this, you will see the following error when starting Mozilla:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/
i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so [Cannot open "/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i3
86/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so"]

If you do not want Java support, you can safely ignore this message.
###

3. So I went over to the jdk13 port.  But when I tried to build that
(after downloading umpteen files from as many websites) I got another
error:

gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `../../../build/bsd-i386/classes/META-INF/
services/javax.sound.sampled.spi.FormatConversionProvider', needed by
`copy-files'.  Stop.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/opt1/fbsd/ports46/java/jdk13/work/j2sdk1.3.1/make
/javax/sound'
gmake[2]: *** [optimized] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/opt1/fbsd/ports46/java/jdk13/work/j2sdk1.3.1/make
/javax/sound'
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/opt1/fbsd/ports46/java/jdk13/work/j2sdk1.3.1/make
/javax'
gmake: *** [all] Error 1
*** Error code 2

Stop in /opt1/fbsd/ports46/java/jdk13.

I did a cvsup and a make clean, to verify that I had the latest and
greatest, but that didn't help.  Has anyone seen this before?  Or
can anyone tell me what the problem is, or better, how I can fix it?

Thanks muchly in advance,
-David Paigen