Java and native threads using libpthread

Scott Long scott_long at btc.adaptec.com
Sat May 3 00:02:20 PDT 2003

Tom Samplonius wrote:
> On Fri, 2 May 2003, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>

>>I know you guys have made a lot of progress with native threading
>>using libc_r, but I'd like to see you try out libpthread (libkse)
>>at some point.
>

>   What kind of implmentation is libpthread?  M:N or 1:1?  freebsd-current
> has had several lengthy discussion about various competing available,
> proposed, or planned threading implemenations.  I couldn't determine from
> the archives what the conclusion was.  I hoping for a summary of what
> libpthread does now.

libpthread was recently renamed back to libkse to avoid confusion until
it is ready for prime-time.  It is M:N.  libthr is 1:1.  Both are not
ready for prime-time, especially with SMP, but it still might be
interesting to test them on UP systems.  I tried jdk13 with libthr last
month and had mixed results.  SwingSet2 ran pretty well, but the
mozilla plugin didn't.  I haven't tried libkse yet since it deadlocks
quite quickly in rtld.

Scott