idea-3.0.4 w/ FreeBSD 5.1: "Bad file descriptor"

Sheldon Hearn sheldonh at starjuice.net
Tue Jun 10 08:23:40 PDT 2003

On (2003/06/10 08:18), Andrew Houghton wrote:

> >The problem may be related to FreeBSD's implementation of sendfile(),
> >but that's just a guess.  Basically, the first thing that goes wrong
> >is IDEA tries copying jar files to a local cache directory of it's
> >own, and they all get copied with zero length, causing (I think) all
> >the later problems.  While IDEA tries copying the files, it gets many
> >'Bad file descriptor' errors.  It occurs to me this all may be related
> >to NIO, which I think you said on the freebsd-java list wasn't yet done.

I wouldn't use the jar failure as a way to track this down, because the
problem doesn't always occur.

The problem where a non-java file in a directory causes "Bad file
descriptor" when you try to compile the directory is 100% reproducible.

I tried to truss it today, but somewhere between Java, truss and
profcs(5) on -CURRENT, my box locked solid.  I was in X, so I couldn't
drop to DDB.  And anyway, that's a different problem.

Ciao,
Sheldon.