Some applets fail in Java-1.3.1

Andrew Lankford arlankfo at 141.com
Wed Jul 9 19:51:19 PDT 2003

I've been following both FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT and jdk-1.3.1 for a
while now.  Since the last change to the jdk-1.3.1 port (the
label for my copy is jdk-1.3.1p8_2 using the NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP
compile option), some of the included demo applets (those found in /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/demo/applets), including GraphicsTest, DitherTest, and CardTest, return the following error when you
attempt to use appletviewer on them:

$ cd CardTest
$ appletviewer example1.html

appletviewer in free(): error: chunk is already free
SIGABRT   6*   abort (generated by abort(3) routine)
appletviewer in malloc(): error: recursive call
SIGABRT   6*   abort (generated by abort(3) routine)
appletviewer in malloc(): error: recursive call
SIGABRT   6*   abort (generated by abort(3) routine)
appletviewer in malloc(): error: recursive call

...and so on until you killall -9 appletviewer.

Seems important, anyway.