jdk1.4.2 p5 problem

Panagiotis Astithas past at noc.ntua.gr
Wed Dec 24 03:12:19 PST 2003

Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
>

>>I believe you are on the right track. Just do as the message says:
>>sysctl net.inet6.ip6.v6only=0
>

> Yup. That worked. It now works with libthr, libkse, and libc_r.
>
> I would have never figured that out without your help. Like I said,
> it's been a while since I've looked at a Java backtrace.
>
> But why did it die? Is IPv6 support broken in the 1.4.2 jdk?
>
> Thanks!

It is not exactly broken. There is a still unsettled debate AFAIK about
the correct (as in RFC-compliant) behavior in respect to IPv4 mapped
address usage, which in turn reflects on the default setting of the
sysctl knob. The IETF recommendation is supposed to be changing, so
things are a bit in a flux. On the positive side, there was a suggested
fix for this on the list a while ago, see:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2003-November/001215.html
Perhaps this will DTRT always.

Regards,
--