Debugging options for tomcat41ctl

Sheldon Hearn sheldonh at starjuice.net
Mon Dec 15 02:58:55 PST 2003

On (2003/12/15 11:55), Ernst de Haan wrote:

> > Are you just trying to ensure that non-root users are able to start
> > Tomcat/Jboss/etc as www (or whatever)?
>
> Indeed that. *And* that the process will run as a certain user. For example
> there could be the following config:
>
> group 'www' contains users 'www' (non-login account) 'ernst' and 'sheldon'
>
> Both 'ernst' and 'sheldon' must be able to start any of the application
> servers and then the application server will run as user 'www'.

Okay.  Now I'm on the same page as you.

My question, then, is why are you imposing this feature requirement on
these ports?  This feature isn't required by other ports that offer
services.

As a developer, I want to stop and start Tomcat all the time.  However,
I'm quite prepared to use su or sudo to do it, as I do with all the
other services provided by FreeBSD ports.

Ciao,
Sheldon.