How's linux-ibm-jdk14 in the memory footprint department?

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Tue Dec 9 10:32:44 PST 2003

Hello Nicolas,

> What I'd like to know is whether IBM's implementation of the JVM
> happens to use a little less memory. I think 203 MB is too much for
> a console application, and that box only has 64 MB of RAM. I did
> install linux-ibm-jdk14 to check this myself, but found out it
> requires the USER_LDT setting in the kernel, and I can't reboot
> because of a stupid setting since I'm running important services on
> the box.

> Any linux-ibm-jdk14 fans out there?

Well I had installed it the last time when I built the native JDK.

I agree that 203MB is too much for a normal console app but I'd say
forget about using Java on machines with less than 256 or more likely
even 512MB memory (personally, I develop on a 1GB machine RAM these days
but that's W2K eating resources, too)

Best regards,
 Gabriel