JDK BSD NewBee

Alden Taylor alden at addcontentnow.com
Tue Dec 2 15:27:48 PST 2003

Hi all,

I'm a BSD newbie with a couple of simple questions.

Does the 1.4 jdk implementation implement the hotspot optimizer?  And
are the threads green or native - and what is the difference?  I've
read that the jdk1.3 binary does not implement hotspot and uses green
threads and I'm trying to decide if upgrading to the jdk 1.4 will
improve my servlet application's performance.

Also, I've noticed that there are ports for things like tomcat and
other java third party extensions.  Can anyone tell me the difference
between the ports version and those that I would download from say
jakarta.apache.org?  I've compiled mod_jk from the apache source using
the mac os X compile instructions, as those were the only that I could
get to work, will my compiled mod_jk work better if I use the ports?
I'm new to the ports system as I come from the land of RedHat LInux and
Mac OS X.

Thanks for all of your help.
Alden

Add Content Now

Offering a fun and interactive way to transform
your site content single handedly.

http://www.addcontentnow.com
303.279.2023