Running server-side Java on FreeBSD in production environments

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Tue Dec 2 15:05:00 PST 2003

[2003-12-02 13:12] Brian Behlendorf said:

| So, I've seen a few mentions here of folks using Java server apps on
| FreeBSD in production.  I've been very happy to watch the progress by the
| Java team on the native JDKs from the sidelines, as well as the
| improvements to libc_r and such that have been MFC'd, but I'm curious as
| to whether the consensus on this list is that it's ready to be used for
| production.  Anyone want to share good success or horror stories?  We're
| trying to determine whether the apache.org box can start to run our own
| software.  :)  Speed is definitely less important than proper functioning.

  Here's my observation of running tomcat and jboss on -STABLE for
over a year now.

  1.3.1-p8 (w/ hotspot)
    stability : excellent
    performance : sluggish (seemed to be about %40 slower than 1.4.1
                            when I last compared the two on some
                            ab(8) tests against tomcat)

  1.4.2-p5 (w/ hotspot)
    stability : very good/excellent (_may_ have seen this version
                                     cause me to have to kill(1)
                                     the jave process when trying
                                     to shutdown tomcat, but cannot
                                     be certain it wasn't something
                                     in my code)
    performance : very good (no formal comparison, but seems to
                             match performance per-MHz as sun's
                             jdk on debian/linux-2.4)

  I would certainly deploy a native java on FreeBSD (4.9-STABLE)
for nearly-critical tomcat applications.  That said, there are some
features which are not complete and/or busted.  If the application
runs at all, I'd feel pretty confident it will keep on running.

cheers.
  Brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman