Java on FreeBSD 5.0

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Apr 27 15:42:35 PDT 2003

At 12:46 PM -0700 4/27/03, Tom Samplonius wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

>>  In 'ps', I do notice some processes of:
>>      /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.1/bin/java -version
>>
>>  which seem to be just sitting there.  I also notice a
>
>   This sounds like the bug that occurs when running the linux
>jdk as non-root (it hangs).  Try as root.

I was running it as root.

It turned out that the problem hitting me was due to a recent
change to src/sys/compat/linux/linux_signal.c in the
freebsd-current branch.  The change was made early last week.
The first attempt to fix the problem was made on Friday, but
that didn't quite fix it.

If you check the freebsd-current mailing list, in the thread
on "Re: Linux compat broken??" there is a suggested patch from
Tor Egge which fixed the problem I was having.  I expect that
patch will be committed very soon.

So, if anyone else runs into this problem (which is possible
since daemonnews just announced patchset 3), then you can
probably just wait a day or two and then rebuild your
freebsd-current world...

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu