linux-sun-jdk requirement

Tom Samplonius tom at sdf.com
Wed Apr 16 00:43:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> I am a little confused about the relationship between the various JDKs
> for FreeBSD. I understand that Sun has given the go ahead to FreeBSD
> last year to make a native JDK available. So now we have a port called
> "java/jdk13". (and other versions, but that is the one of interest to
> me right now).
>
> But I have a couple of questions:
>
> * why does the installer require manual agreement to the license at
> http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk13.html?

  Because the jdk source patches are downloaded from here.  The jdk source
patches contain some Sun source code.

> * and then again to fetch the actual JDK from Sun's site?

  Because the Sun jdk source is downloaded from here, plus the Sun linux
jdk.

> What was the effect of the agreement if in fact nothing at all is
> downloaded from FreeBSD but it is all coming from Sun anyway? See
> http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=2602
>

> And an even more important question. Why does the installation of
> "java/jdk13" depend on the port "linux-sun-jdk-1.3.1.07_1"?

  Because to build jdk1.4.1, you need a jdk1.4.x or better.  Sun made it
this way.  Parts of the jdk1.4.1 source must be complied with a
bootstrapping jdk.

> I can't find any answers in the web pages and in fact the pages seem
> quite contradictory. For example
> <http://www.freebsd.org/java/install.html> says that no dependencies
> are needed to install the JDK. But when compiling the JDK I get this:

  Obviously there are dependencies on lots of things.  jdk is big
application.  The archives do have answers though.

Tom