FW: Java FreeBSD Alpha

k.j.koster at telecom.tno.nl k.j.koster at telecom.tno.nl
Tue Apr 15 00:04:43 PDT 2003

Dear All,

I received the message below from Roberto de Iriarte. If you are interested in Java on FreeBSD/axp, you will find it highly informative.

    Kees Jan

got Compaq's Java2 for Linux running under FreeBSD-Alpha.

    First, some caveats.

    It is slow. Compaq's JIT will not work under FreeBSD, and it seemed
to me that the effort needed to make it run was not worth it (see below)
    Installation is painfull, you'r most likely going to need an Alpha
running linux for a while.
    I'm rather dissapointed on the quality of Compaq's J2SDK for Linux,
the memory footprint is LARGE!. Running under native Linux, i was unable
to run the VolanoMark Benchmark with the native JIT, even with 1 GB of
ram (and it ran painfully slow with the classic VM).
    This makes it rather useless for runnig server side Java Apps.
    Of note, this behavior has also been noticed on Tru64 4.0F
    Of note, this benchmark runs on my 192 mb equipped notebook (ia32)
with no swapping et all..

    2.   How to proceed (From my own archives)
    2.1    You'll probably want to get a newer lesstif ...
    2.2   I can send you prebuilt libraries to spare yourself step D) if
you lack a Linux-Alpha machine (or just for convenience)

    Regards,
    Roberto

    P.S Feel free to crossport this to FreeBSD-Java

As posted 23-04-2002 to FreeBSD-Alpha