Other architectures?

k.j.koster at telecom.tno.nl k.j.koster at telecom.tno.nl
Mon Apr 14 03:58:53 PDT 2003

Dear All,

> > >   I would imagine that alpha and ia64 are much harder, and perhaps
> > > impossible, since Sun is not likely to be targetting
> > > these platforms.
> > > Perhaps maybe ia64, if Solaris is ported to it sometime
> > > in the future.
> >
> > There is ia64 code in the 1.4.1 SCSL release and Sun have
> > had a linux-ia64
> > beta out for 1.4.1 for quite some time.  Alpha is harder,
> > but certainly not impossible.

The limiting factor for Alpha is to find someone who can write the native method invocations in Alpha assembler. This should be a day or two work for someone who's proficient in Alpha assembler. I did some of the groundwork (basic stuff) and wrote a little about it on my web site (http://www.kjkoster.org/java/).

> Compaq used to have a quite good whitepaper about their
> implementation of Java
> on Alpha - including details as to the optimizations they
> performed to get good runtime performance.

It is possible to run Compaq's Java 2 implementation on FreeBSD/axp. If you search the freebsd-alpha mailing list archives you will find crude howto's.

I'd be interested to read that article. Could you dig up an URL?

    Kees Jan