SIGBUS on FreeBSD 4.7-S / Native JDK 1.3

Alexey Zelkin phantom at FreeBSD.org.ua
Fri Apr 11 04:18:32 PDT 2003

hi,

Well.  I am not jdk1.3 expert, but quick look on dump shows that you're
using 'green threads'.  So, problem can be related to JIT which you're
using or maybe application itself.

Actually, from my expirience of porting jdk14 -- SIGBUS is usually notice
of StackOverflow, but I don't know details of stack implementation in
'green threads'.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:49:56AM +0100, Ernst de Haan wrote:
> Alexey, Greg,
>
> We're in the middle of deploying quite a large frontend application on
> Tomcat 4. We'd prefer to deploy on J2SE 1.3/FreeBSD, but we're getting
> SIGBUS errors. Currently we're using these versions:
>
> * Tomcat 4.1.24
> * JDK 1.3.1p7
> * FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE (Compiled @ 2002.11.18/14:56:20 CET)
> * x86 SMP system (Dual P4, I think)
>
> I see a number of alternative solutions:
>
> * Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.8 (I remember there were some Java-related
>   improvements after Nov 2002, right?)

No reason to do it, unless you propose to use 'native threads' or jdk14.

> * Upgrade to JDK 1.3.1p8

That's first point which you need to try.

> * Set MAXUSERS to 0 in the kernel config file and recompile and install the
>   kernel (I remember this solved some native JDK problem in the past)

You're not using native threads, so native threads methods are unapplicable.

> * Use a different J2SE VM (I don't really want to do this)

Why not ?

> * Examine the core file to see what exactly went wrong
>
> Any suggested approach?

Try updating to -p8 and see if anything changes.