Is FreeBSD the right platfrom for JBOSS ?

Ned Wolpert wolpert at codeheadsystems.com
Tue Apr 1 06:31:31 PST 2003

If you want native threads, start looking into using FBSD 5.0 and the native
port of Java.  I run the jdk1.4.1 on both 4-stable and 5-current, but it
is noticably faster on the 5.0 current with the threading model.

However, you really want to wait until there is a 5-stable for a production
system.  (Which is "soon"...)  Don't try to benchmark on the current 5.0
system since by default it has debugging built into the kernel which
slows it down. (Unless you want to rebuild the system and remove all
debugging)

BTW, I run a 5-current system at home, no debugging, stable kernel and yes,
the native jdk1.4.1 port does kick some ass.  I don't have a windows box to
compare it too, but it works better then RedHat 8.  (Which now I only have
on a laptop that my wife uses.)  I still want to find a MP AMD system to
test, though... that's the real test.

> -- Thus, Thorsten Mauch had said:
> Hi all
> I suffer a lot from the absence of native java threads in Linux. My
> Jboss applicaion runs under linux significant slower then under windows.
> Nor it scales good.
> For security reasons I don't want to run my server with windows, so I
> consider to
> choose freeBSD.
> Does anybody have experiance with Jboss and freeBSD ? Does I have to
> expect compatibily problem ? And how the threading is implemtned in BSD
> ? Can I expect the speed and scalability from windows and the securtiy
> and stablility from UNIX ?
> If so, whitch port i should use ?

Virtually,
Ned Wolpert <wolpert at codeheadsystems.com>

"An idea is something you have; an ideology is something that has you."
--Morris Berman