Jails routing and localhost

Ole ole at free.de
Fri Jan 19 12:12:24 UTC 2018

Hi Luke,

Thu, 18 Jan 2018 19:03:32 +0000 - Luke Crooks
<luke at solentwholesale.com>:

> Hi Ole,
>
> I am by no means an expert, but to me I see your problem is here..
>

>   # ezjail-admin create somejail 'lo1|b.b.b.238,lo1|127.b.b.238'
>
> You are binding the jail to the same network controller lo1.
>
> Usually you would bind the jail like..
>
>   # ezjail-admin create somejail 'lo1|127.0.0.238, emX|10.1.1.238'

If I do this (and ad first I tried exactly this) the networking on the
host system will fail a few minutes after the jail start. And I have no
remote connection to the Server. So I only can do a hard reset.

I don't know why this happens. At the moment I only have production
Servers in this datacenter, so I can't play with them to reproduce. But
I will organize another and report here.

Usually I have Servers with a public IP in a /24 Layer2 network. Then

  # ezjail-admin create somejail 'lo1|127.b.b.238, emX|b.b.b.238'

woks fine.

> Where 10.1.1.0/24 is your subnet of your host. And you have free
> range on the network and want to create the jail as a fully fledged
> host.
>
> Seeing as you have only been assigned a /32 for your host. I would
> imagine you would either need to possibly do something like...
>
>   # ezjail-admin create somejail 'lo1|127.0.0.238, lo0|127. 0.0.237'
>
> E.g bind the jail loopback of lo1 to the host loopback lo0. But I have
> never seen a configuration like yours using the same device twice,
> but I could be totally wrong.

But then I also have to set a static route like

  # route add b.b.b.238 127. 0.0.237

to reach the server with the public IP?

Thank you all for your replies
Ole