Update jails strategy

Michael Grimm trashcan at ellael.org
Sun Nov 12 19:34:20 UTC 2017

Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:
> Michael Grimm wrote on 2017/11/11 21:42:

>> [FYI: I am running some service jails with an ezjail-type basejail approach.]
>>
>> Until now I did stop all jails before updating and restarting them afterwards. Now I am wondering if that is necessary at all.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be sufficient to update basejail with running jails and restart them after this updating? (In analogy to a "make installworld; make installkernel; reboot")
>
> Update of basejail and restart of jails is enough. I am doing it this way for a years.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear ;-)

> We have build server with prepared updates mounted thru NFS and then just make installkernel && make installworld (+ mergemaster) in host system. After the host is updated (before reboot) I run my local script to rsync changes from host to basejail (sync just bin, sbin, libs, but not home, etc, var), then mergemaster in all jails and finally reboot the server. I never stop jails before update.

Ok. Until now I did something similar:

#) make buildworld && make buildkernel at fastest server
#) zfs send /usr/obj and /usr/src to remote server
#) make installworld && make installkernel at remote server

I did use "ezjail-admin update" to update basejail only after stopping all jails. That I will omit from now on, thanks.

Regards,
Michael